Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sharing is Caring!

I wanted to share a poem from If I Could Fly Away called My Wings...and the Cover of my Work In Progress, Clipped Wings. I'm working hard on it and am making a goal to have it published sooner rather than later however I want to be sure that it is well written, I want a beta reader and also an editor. I had none of these for If I Could Fly Away but that was different, a book of poetry is simple compared to a memoir, I'm stressing over it a bit but I want it to be perfect. Anyway I'm rambling so without further delay, please enjoy this extracted poem from If I Could Fly Away.

My Wings
They think they see
What’s inside me.

Nothing can go the way I plan,
Nothing, no not in this dry wasteland.
Why does no one want to hold my hand?

Why are these dreams buried in the sand,
They sink, deeper and deeper into the hands of time…
This which I thought was mine is such a distant dream.
Hear me
Please, oh God, please hear me!
Hear me scream as they are torn!
My wings they tear… ripped to shreds
They lay at my sides as I cry.
And they ask why I cry when I’m alone
When they’re not around
When no one can take, what has been going down
Down
Down into the darkness of time,
The black sand falling,
Falling
A straight cosmic line

Beating to the rhythm of my heart
Keeping such good time!

Watch them.
Watch them fall.
My pretty wings which could once,
Hold it all.
Why have I become so weak?
Why does all this seem so hard when once I thought it meek!
The things I have seen
The things I have felt

The dreams I lost to this torrent of darkness.
The cuts on my knees from being forced to kneel
When
When
When will these wounds of mine heal?
Why is it happiness that I have to steal?
Why couldn’t this have all been a dream?
Instead it is real,
And still residing in my mind…
Constantly haunting me,
Never letting me go…
All I want is to be released
All I want is to be let go…
Why won’t they let me go?




Excerpt
"In the blink of an eye, the world can change. Your world that is. You know what I mean… there you are thinking life is grand. You’ve got all that you need and your life is on track, everything is going well when suddenly the phone rings and a relative has died. Or, someone you’d thought gone from your life forever shows up on your doorstep. In the gentle snap of that butterfly's wings your entire world has dropped out from under your feet and you can’t figure out which way is up.
This has been a constant in my life.
Every time I’ve tried to tell this story before, I’ve started at the beginning. This time, I’ll start at the end… or I suppose in this case, the present."
I hope you've grabbed my FREE book of poetry, If I Could Fly Away. It is free all week!

Until Next Time!
Mari

PS
If you know how I can make my book of poetry permanently free on amazon please let me know!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment